NGM COLLEGE AT A GLANCE - MILESTONES
12th July 1957
On the auspicious day of 12th July 1957 the College, formerly known as “Nallamuthu Gounder Municipal College”, was opened in the immediate presence of the Chief Donor Thiru. S.P. Nallamuthu Gounder and started functioning with strength of 160 students in the Pre-University Course. A munificent donation of Rupees Three Lakhs from padma Bhushan Dr.N.Mahalingam, D.Sc., F.I.E., enabled the management to start degree courses in Economics, Mathematics and Physics in July 1959. Under Dr. N. Mahalingam’s benevolent patronage, the College how got rechristened as “Nallamuthu Gounder Mahalingam College” and has blossomed into a full-fledged academic institution offering courses in various disciplines.
In July 1960, the Science Block was opened by the Former Governor of Madres. The B.Sc., degree courses in Chemistry was started in July 1965 and B.Com. in July 1968. The B.A. Degree course in English Literature was introduced in July 1971. Degree courses in B.A. History and B.Sc. Botany were introduced in July 1972.
In September 1972, the “Pollachi Kalvi Kazhagam” was renamed as “Nallamuthu Gounder Mahalingam College Kalvi Kazhagam”.
A new block was constructed with the U.G.C. grant and building was opened by Thiru. N.D. Sundaravadivelu, the then Vice-Chancellor of Madras University on 3rd March 1974. The College began to spread its wings of progress with the introduction of co-education in the year 1975.All the Degree Courses have been semesterised since 1976.
The Silver Jubilee of the institution was celebrated with all its splendour in February 1984. Hon’ble Sri P. Ramachandran, the then Governor of Kerala, inaugurated the spectacular celebrations, paid rich tributes to the College for its glorious achievements in the field of higher education and laid the Foundation stone for the Silver Jubilee Block. The B.Sc. Degree course in Computer Science was introduced in 1986.
The College has achieved greater academic distinctions with the introduction of autonomous system from the academic year 1987-88. Under autonomy, courses have been restructured and syllabi are designed to make the higher education more progressive and purposeful. In order to make the degree courses job-oriented a few disciplines such as B.Sc. (Physics), B.A. (Economics) and B.Com. were vocationalised in 1994.
The M.C.A. (Master of Computer Applications) courses were introduced in 1990.M.A. English courses was started in the academic year 2001-2002.
M.Sc., Biotechnology, M.I.B. and M.A. Tamil, P.G. Courses were started in the academic year 2002-2003.
Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration was started in the academic year 2003- 2004.
The following self-financing courses were also started over the years:
B.Com., in 1982; B.B.M., and B.Sc., Computer Science in 1996. B.Sc., Mathematics in 1999. B.C.A., B.Com. C.A., in 2000.B.A. Tamil in 2004. Additional Section in B.Com. (CA), Dip. in Biofarming in 2007, B.Sc., Information Technology in 2008, B.Com., E-Com. & MSW in 2009, B.Com. (Finance), B.A. (English) in 2009 MSc Computer Science, in 2010 M.Co.. C.A. and B.Sc. CT in 2011. B.Com.-Professional Accounting and B.Com.-Banking and Insurance in 2012. ‘A’ Grade by NAAC-II Cycle, UGC-Funded Indoor Stadium & Floodlit Basket Ball Court inaugurated in 2013. B.Com.-Business Process Services in 2014. M.Sc. Chemistry and M.Sc. Botany in 2015. Diploma and Certificate courses – Tally, Hindi, DTP, Psychiatric & Social Work and Fluency in English in 2016. B.Com.- International Business in 2017. Certificate Courses in உழவு பாரதம், மனையியல் மகத்துவம் and Thoughts of Vivekananda in 2017. In commemoration of Diamond Jubilee celebration new classroom building is constructed in 2018.
27th January 1998
The Centenary of our Founder Shri S.P. Nallamuthu Gounder was celebrated with all splendour and colour on 27th January 1998. Arutchelvar Dr. N. Mahalingam delivered the inaugural address and released the Centenary Souvenir.
The College introduced Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) from the academic year 2004 – 2005. From 2008-2009, the college adopting new CBCS as per the guidelines given by the Tamilnadu State Council for Higher Education and Bharathiar University.
This is a modern system introduced in Higher Education Institutions to keep the curriculum relevant to the global demands and standard of the students. Students are offered with a choice of a variety of Job oriented courses, Elective Courses and Course for improving soft-skills. They can choose any courses of their interest and need during the period of their study to get extra credits and Certificates in addition to the degree in their respective disciplines.
The College is awarded with TUV ISO 9001:2008 certification through TUV Rheinland, Germany in May 2005. A new building christened as Thiru. S.P. Krishnaswamy Gounder Science Block was dedicated to the College by our Patron Dr.N. Mahalingam on 16.09.2005 to accommodate science classes. Local Area Network(LAN) with Internet Connectivity in the buildings and staff rooms was inaugurated on the same day by Dr.S.Murugaiyan. The Year 2007 was one of the most memorable year in the history of College as NAAC, Bangalore accredited the College with ‘A’ grade. Many land marks were created in the year 2007, which includes, the inauguration of Sri.M.S. Palaniappa Mudaliar Block, Prof.M.Alkondan A/C hall, Two Internet Centres, Language Laboratory, Virtual Class room. To conduct Yoga classes for the Human Excellence Course, a new modernized hall named Bharathiar Arangam was opened during the year 2008. To conduct various academic meetings a new A/C hall with modern facilities has been constructed and named as Vivekanandar Arangam in 2009. ‘Bharat Ratna’ C.Subramaniam Centenary Library was dedicated to students in 2010 in memory of Shri.C.Subramainam.
Under this system, every subject is fixed with certain credit points, based on its content of knowledge, its application orientation as well as number of contact hours allotted. This is being done by a thorough analysis of the content of each subject by the members of Board of Studies.
Our dream is to make the College an institution of excellence at the national level by imparting quality education of global standards to make students academically superior, socially committed, ethically strong, spiritually evolved and culturally rich citizens to contribute to the holistic development of the self and society.
Training students to become role models in academic arena by strengthening infrastructure, upgrading curriculum, developing faculty, augmenting extension services and imparting quality education through an enlightened management and committed faculty who ensure knowledge transfer, instil research aptitude and infuse ethical and cultural values to transform students into disciplined citizens in order to improve quality of life.
- To have Parent-Child connectivity at NGM.
- To instill core human values – empathy, sympathy and integrity.
- To implant self-respect as the crux of the character.
- To empower students to convert knowledge into wisdom.
- To grow into a green citizen.
Nallamuthu Gounder Mahalingam College designs academic programmes to impart quality education that promotes holistic development of students by
- Providing domain knowledge
- Exploiting technology for learning
- Pursuing research leading to dissemination of knowledge
- Fostering the talents of the students
- Devising strategies for quality assessment
- Adopting prudent financial management
- Ensuring fair governance
- Promoting social values and inclusiveness
Graduates of Nallamuthu Gounder Mahalingam College (Autonomous) are
- Knowledgeable in their Discipline and Skilled Communicators
- Responsible Citizens of the Nation by Discharging their Duties, Promoting Indian Culture & Protecting her Diversity
- Critical Thinkers & Problem Solvers
- Effective Users of Technology for Personal & Social Good
- Self-learners with a Passion to Engage Locally& Globally
THE COLLEGE COMMITTEE
Dr. B.K. Krishnaraj Vanavarayar, B.Com., B.L.
Thiru. M. Balasubramaniam, M.Com., M.B.A.
Thiru. S. Sivakumar, B.E., M.S.
- Dr. S.V. Balasubramaniam, B.Com., A.C.A.
- Dr. M. Manickam, M.Sc., M.B.A.
- Dr. P.M. Palanisamy, M.A., M.Phil., P.G.D.J.M.C., Ph.D.
- Prof. Vishnukant Chatpalli, Bengaluru (UGC Nominee)
- Dr. K. Dharmalingam, Madurai Kamaraj University (University Nominee)
- Dr. Antony Selvadoss Thanamani, M.Sc., M.Phil., PGDCA., Ph.D.
- Dr. R. Manicka Chezhian, M.Sc., M.S., Ph.D.
- Thiru. D. Anbalagan, M.A.,(Office Superintendent)
1. Dr. N. Mahalingam, D.Sc., F.I.E.,
MEMBERS OF THE GOVERNING BODY
1. Dr. B.K. Krishnaraj Vanavarayar, B.Com., B.L.
2. Thiru. M. Balasubramaniam, M.Com., M.B.A.
3. Thiru. S. Sivakumar, B.E., M.S.,
4. Dr. M. Manickam, M.Sc., M.B.A.
5. Thiru. S.K. Kalyanasundaram, M.A.
6. Dr. K. Arumugam, B.E.(Hon), M.S.M.I.E.
7. Dr. S.V. Balasubramaniam, B.Com., A.C.A.
8. Thiru. R.V.S. Marimuthu, L.T.M.
9. Dr. S. Rathinavelu Gounder, M.B.B.S., M.S.
10. Thiru. T.K. Rajkumar, B.A., M.B.A,
11. Thiru. S.K. Arul Karthikeyan
12. Thiru. Shankar Vanavarayar, M.B.A., PGDIEM.,
13. Thiru. S.P. Durairam, B.C.S.,
14. Thiru. C.M. Singaravelu, M.Tech.,
15. Thiru. Mani Chinnasamy
16. Dr. P.M. Palanisamy, M.A., M.Phil., P.G.D.J.M.C., Ph.D. ( Principal Ex-officio )